Green Day makes a welcomed comeback

A review of ‘Saviors’
Lauren Stein

Nearly twenty years ago, in Sept. 2004, pop-punk sensation Green Day released their hit album “American Idiot.” Its release inspired a Broadway musical, various tours and went on to become a six-time platinum album. Since then, they have released six albums, some well-received and some not, but nothing has come close to the highs and lows that “American Idiot” had. That is, until now. 

On Jan. 19, 2024, Green Day released their fourteenth studio album, “Saviors.” With their last release, “Father of All Motherf—kers,” leaving the band at an all-time low, fans were left holding their breaths when “Saviors” was announced. Luckily, the punk trio delivered an era-bending sensation that all fans can appreciate.

“Saviors” spans across 15 tracks with a runtime of 46 minutes. The project opens with the track “The American Dream Is Killing Me,” which directly encapsulates what people expect from Green Day — a punchy yet melodic political commentary. As a punk band, of course, they are going to be political, but the track perfectly follows the mood of “American Idiot.” The 2004 album was released just a few months shy of the 2004 presidential election and heavily criticized then-presidential candidate George W. Bush as well as the American political landscape. 

Progressing into the album you reach tracks like “Bobby Sox,” where lead Billie Joe Armstrong switches between lightly sung lines to a more angry approach, asking the listener, “Do you want to be my girlfriend/boyfriend?” The vocals give Armstrong and Green Day that “punk” energy they have lacked for the past few years. 

Across the album, you find tracks that reminisce all of Green Day’s best works — “Dookie,” “Insomniac” and, of course, “American Idiot” — in the best possible way. Each release has pushed Green Day further from its roots, and it is great to hear how they have come back to what made them what they are today. The only downsides of the album come from how forgettable some tracks are. There are a few that fail to catch the listener’s attention, and when Armstrong fails to do so, it seems like Tré Cool’s drums and Mike Dirnt’s bass fail to pick up the slack. It is somewhat strange to hear with how amazing Dirnt and Cool are across most of the band’s discography.

“Saviors” is overall a great record from the East Bay punk trio. After what seemed like lackluster release after lackluster release, Green Day has finally come back with something special — an ode to their past and hopefully a glimpse into their future as a group.