Texas gears up for primary voting season

Katie Blackman

As the voting season approaches, Texans are gearing up to participate in the upcoming primary elections. With early voting for the primary election kicking off on Feb. 20 and election day nearing March 5, here is a guide to what will be on the ballot. 

During this voting session, Texans will have the opportunity to vote for various important positions. In the San Antonio area, residents will cast their votes for one of Texas’ two U.S. Senate seats, U.S. House seats and multiple Bexar County offices.

U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, who has held his position since 2018, will face off against nine Democratic candidates. Additionally, all Congress members are up for re-election, with two positions being state senators representing the San Antonio area. 

When early voting begins on March 5, San Antonio residents will vote on selecting representatives for key positions such as Bexar County Sheriff, Bexar County Tax Assessor-Collector and multiple commissioner seats.

The Texas Railroad Commission regulates Texas oil and industry, pipeline transporters, natural gas and hazardous liquid pipeline industry, natural gas utilities, uranium surface mining operations and judicial posts will determine the state’s most critical questions. 

Depending on their party affiliation, voters will encounter different ballot formats. Democrats and Republicans alike are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the candidates and their platforms.

U.S President (Democrat)

• Joe Biden: Former U.S. senator from Delaware who served as Vice President under Barack Obama. President Biden announced he would run for re-election on April 25, 2023. President Biden’s campaign illustrates his most important policy priorities for a second term. He wants to make healthcare more accessible, protect Social Security, create a minimum tax for billionaires, solidify the right to an abortion, ban assault weapons and support voting rights.  
  • Dean Philips: U.S. representative from Minnesota announced his candidacy on Oct. 26, 2023. His campaign focuses on reducing living costs, improving community safety and making politics less divisive. 

U.S. President (Republican)

• Ryan L. Binkley: Co-founder of Create Church in Richardson, Texas, Binkley has criticized both Republicans and Democrats for being too partisan. The main focuses of his campaign are reducing the national debt, reducing healthcare costs, increasing border security and increasing community education engagement. 
  • Nikki Haley: Former South Carolina Governor and U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. She presents herself as a staunch advocate for American interests globally and criticizes Trump’s leadership style as chaotic and divisive.
  • Donald J. Trump: Trump will run again in 2024 after losing to President Joe Biden in the 2020 election. He plans to overhaul the federal civil service, tighten immigration policies with mass deportations and ending birthright citizenship, abolish Obamacare and impose tougher trade measures on China.

U.S. Senate (Democrat) 

• Thierry Tchenko
  • A. “Robert” Hassan
  • Mark Gonzalez
  • Steven J. Keough
  • Roland Gutierrez
  • Carl Oscar Sherman 
  • Heli Rodriguez Prilliman 
  • Meri Gomez
  • Colin Allred

U.S. Senate (Republican)

• Ted Cruz 
  • Holland “Redd” Gibson
  • RE (Rufus) Lopez 

Texas Railroad Commissioner (Democrat) 

• Katherine Culbert 
  • Bill Burch 

Texas Railroad Commissioner (Republican) 

• Christie Clark
  • Corey Howell
  • Christi Craddick
  • James “Jim” Matlock
  • Petra Reyes

Bexar County Sheriff (Democrat) 

• Sharon Rodriguez
  • Javier Salazar 

Bexar County Sheriff (Republican) 

• Nathan Buchanan 
  • Victor A. Mendoza 
  • Dennis Casillas

Every eligible voter is encouraged to participate in the voting process and make their voices heard. Make sure to mark your calendars, stay informed and exercise your right to vote. 

To learn more about where UTSA students can vote, check out last week’s article “How to vote in the 2024 primary election, and learn more about the candidates”, click here to learn more about each presidential candidate.