Six UTSA players to watch this spring

Rylan Renteria

With a mix of newcomers and veterans, UTSA’s spring sports teams bring forth some passionate performances to Main Campus. Here are six Roadrunner athletes to watch this spring. 

1. Jaylen Prichard, utility, softball 

There was not much to cheer for in an admittedly poor 2023 season for the UTSA softball squad. However, with a new head coach and a rebuilt squad, there are some things to look forward to in 2024. The positionless Prichard, a junior transfer from Eastern Illinois, has provided a nice spark for the Roadrunners. Her .357 batting average and 10 hits are good enough to lead the entire team. As the season drags on, expect her to continue contributing consistently. 

1. Ruger Riojas, pitcher, baseball 

As the third option on a loaded UTSA rotation in 2023, Riojas posted a respectable 4.11 ERA. Learning behind program legends such as former pitchers Luke Malone and Simon Miller, it seems Riojas was able to retain some of the knowledge passed down. Now, in 2024, Riojas looks to become the premier starting pitcher for the Roadrunners. His 2.16 ERA through six games speaks for itself, and it seems head coach Pat Hallmark has found his new ace. 

1. Jordan Ivy-Curry, point guard, men’s basketball 

Ivy-Curry began the season ineligible to play due to an NCAA rule that stated that multiple-time transfers must sit for a full academic season before returning. That ruling was overturned and Ivy-Curry has been electric for the Roadrunners ever since. His 38-point performance against No.23 Florida Atlantic is one of the best single-game performances in program history. As the season comes to a close the ‘Runners will have to rely on Ivy-Curry’s explosiveness if they want to make noise in the American Athletic Conference tournament. 

1. Matt King, infielder, baseball 

As one of the few returning contributors from the historic 2022-23 baseball campaign, King is projected to continue his stellar play in 2024. King has a .375 batting average through just six games, nine hits and five RBIs. Outside of his elite numbers on the stat sheet, his remarkable highlight catch against UT-Arlington earned an iconic spot on the SportsCenter top 10, bringing national attention to the Roadrunners. 

1. Elyssa Coleman, forward, women’s basketball 

Now in her third season at UTSA, Coleman has emerged as a superstar for the ‘Runners. A breakout performance against Wichita State, in which Coleman recorded 32 points and 19 rebounds, put her name on the map. While the stats may not always be eye-popping, her presence on the court alone allows other players to receive open looks. 

1. Jordyn Jenkins, forward, women’s basketball 

Jenkins was sidelined for the majority of the 2023-24 campaign with a knee injury. Head coach Karen Aston placed emphasis on making sure Jenkins was fully healthy before allowing her to return to action. That patience has paid off big time, as in just three games, Jenkins is averaging an impressive 17 points per game. By the time the AAC tournament rolls around, UTSA will have a formidable forward duo in Coleman and Jenkins.