UTSA baseball drops midweek matchup against ACU

UTSA’s attempt at a comeback fell short on Tuesday after suffering a 4-3 loss to Abilene Christian University at Roadrunner Field. After an RBI double from junior outfielder Mason Lytle in the ninth inning, sophomore outfielder Ty Odom grounded out to seal the ‘Runners second consecutive loss.

“We left a lot of guys on base early and struck out way too much,” head coach Pat Hallmark said. “We’ve just got to keep working and try to improve.” 

UTSA (8-9) got on the board in the first inning with an RBI from sophomore utility Broc Parmer. An error from the Wildcats allowed Parmer to make it to first base safely and for senior infielder Alexander Olivo to reach home plate with ease. 

Over the next three innings, the Wildcats (11-7), took a commanding three-run lead. Though momentum belonged to the visiting team, the UTSA rotation was able to stabilize and pitch a scoreless final five innings.

In the bottom of the eighth, junior infielder Matt King hit a lead-off home run over the left field wall. A two-run deficit entering the ninth was all that stood between the ‘Runners and a winning record on the season. 

The top of the lineup was up for UTSA in the ninth, senior outfielder Caleb Hill knocked a single up the middle of the diamond to put the tying run on base. A ground out from Olivo pushed Hill into scoring position and immediately after a wild pitch allowed Hill to advance to third. Lytle smacked a double through the left-center field gap, allowing Hill to score and cutting the deficit to one. The Wildcats struck Parmer with a pitch and followed that up by walking junior utility James Taussig. 

“We pitched well and we played good defense but we’ve just got to hit better,” Hallmark said. 

Although the Roadrunners notched more total hits than the Wildcats, UTSA did not hit well when they needed to, as shown by the whopping 13 runners left on base. 

UTSA will next face the Northwestern Wildcats. First pitch is set for noon on Saturday at Roadrunner Field.