State higher education funding soars in Texas

During the 88th legislative session, higher education institutions in Texas are expected to receive a significant boost in state funding totaling $4.3 billion, according to a national report.

The State Higher Education Executive Officers Association has allocated $13.7 billion towards higher education for the 2024 fiscal year, despite facing a 50% decrease in federal funds. 

As Harrison Keller, Commissioner of Higher Education, highlighted, this supply of funds is anticipated to enhance college affordability for Texans.

There are stipulations attached to this funding. The approval of these funds hinges on the passage of SB 17 by the legislature, which prohibits diversity, equity and inclusion officers in public universities. 

Additionally, SB 18, which seeks to increase government oversight on tenured professors and staff, must also be passed.

Texas universities are required to comply with SB 17 and SB 18 before accessing any of the new funds. Failure to agree to the terms will result in the revocation of all funding.

Kelsey Kungel, the policy analyst for State Higher Education Funding, has indicated that the final figures will not be disclosed until after the conclusion of the 2024 fiscal year. She anticipates minimal changes to the numbers.

Commissioner Keller engaged in discussions with Governor Greg Abbott and various Texas policymakers during the session. Their deliberations centered on the legacy of current state funding and the imperative of higher education for Texas. 

The funding is seen as necessary to address the escalating job competition resulting from the influx of new residents to Texas, making it increasingly challenging for locals to compete without a degree.

“We have to move quickly to educate many more people to a higher standard than we’ve ever achieved before because the vast majority of these new jobs in Texas require at least some education training beyond high school diplomas,” Keller said.

The funding can significantly enhance the affordability of higher education in Texas. “These are positive indicators from all stakeholders who are working towards making college more accessible for students,” Kungel said.

“This was truly a historic session, with the legislature aligning behind the vision of building a talent-strong Texas,” Keller said. “There were rigorous discussions and policy designs leading up to this session, and the investments made will indeed expand opportunities for Texans across the state.”