10 dates to take yourself on this Wellness Month

Chloe Williams

Each August, National Wellness Month is celebrated and acts of self-care are encouraged. When focusing on self-care and overall wellness, it is important to prioritize alone time. Keep reading as we highlight 10 inexpensive solo date ideas to take yourself on this Wellness Month and each month after. 

1. Explore a local museum

San Antonio has tons of local museums ready to be explored. At the San Antonio Museum of Art, admission is free for Bexar County residents from 4 to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays and from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Sundays. The Witte Museum is free from 3 to 7 p.m. every Tuesday. Other galleries, including Artpace and the Contemporary at Blue Star, are free every day. 

1. Try a new fitness class

Campus Recreation is a good option for free fitness classes, but other places also offer your first class for free. Some nearby businesses that offer free classes include Orangetheory, Pure Barre and the City of San Antonio sponsored Fitness in the Park.

1. Go on a picnic

San Antonio is home to over 240 parks, and with this many options, there is no shortage of places to spend your afternoon. Bring a book, your homework or just your thoughts, and spend the day alone enjoying nature. Recommendations include Brackenridge, Pearsall and Denman Estates.

1. Paint a canvas

Painting can definitely be therapeutic and help release stress or energy. For less than $10, you can pick up some paint supplies and a canvas from Walmart. Just look for inspiration on Pinterest and get painting. 

1. Try a new coffee shop

Trying a new coffee shop is a personal favorite way to spend time alone. Current recommendations include Archies Coffee Lounge, Vice Versa Coffee and Music and Commonwealth Coffee. If coffee is not your thing, boba or a new restaurant work perfectly too. 

1. Go on a walk or run

With the number of parks and outdoor opportunities in San Antonio and the weather hopefully cooling down soon, it is the perfect time to go on a walk or run. Remember to practice safety precautions and be careful on secluded trails or walks. 

1. Go see a movie

The movie industry is back and better than ever after the pandemic. Head to the nearest theater and watch a movie you have been interested in. Be sure to check different dates and times to ensure the cheapest price. Current movies out include “Talk to Me,” “Gran Turismo,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem,” “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer.”

1. Go for a drive

A long drive with the windows down and music blaring does wonders for your well-being. The best route for a long drive is definitely Babcock to Scenic Loop Rd. The winding road and beautiful scenery are perfect for spending time alone. 

1. Try a new hobby

Trying a new hobby can teach you more about yourself and interests you did not know you had. Hobbies to try could include knitting, sewing, painting, pottery, journaling or scrapbooking. 

1. Attend a local market

San Antonio is not short on farmers, art or local markets. Notable markets include The Pearl Farmers Market, Beauty Haus Night Market and Blue Star’s various artisan markets and nights. 

Whatever you end up doing, stay safe and remember the importance of prioritizing alone time. Have a happy National Wellness Month.