UTSA takes further steps to increase faculty and staff pay

Riley Carroll

For the past two years, UTSA has been working on launching a comprehensive strategic plan that will increase compensation for faculty and staff of the university. Since then, there have been measures taken to bring the plan to fruition. 

According to UTSA Today, President Taylor Eighmy, Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice President for Business Affairs Veronica Salazar and Interim Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Heather Shipley shared information via email with UTSA’s faculty on Oct. 10 about the future of the compensation plan.  

The email stated that “compensation is an important aspect of both reaching our strategic destinations and fulfilling our commitment to enhance the campus experience, and it remains at the forefront of our priorities.” 

It was also mentioned that in recent weeks the university has shared information with faculty and staff regarding plans to make UTSA an innovative place to work, learn and discover, as the creation of the Campus Experience Task Force seeks to enhance this for all Roadrunners. 

As for the compensation plan, its efforts are going to continue in the fiscal year of 2024. Similar to recent years, the university’s strategies will focus on reward packages that provide significant salary increases for as many faculty and staff as possible. 

The plan will also include institution-wide merit increases ranging from 2.50% to 3% for benefits-eligible employees. This increase in compensation will be the largest historical merit increase for UTSA, at 9.1% overall. 

The compensation increases will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2024, and will be implemented on the Feb. 1, 2024 paycheck. The total increase given out to faculty and staff will be based on their 2022-2023 performance evaluation ratings.

For more information on the eligibility criteria for the increases visit the People Excellence webpage. Should faculty and staff have any questions regarding the strategic compensation plan and its strategies, they can also contact the People Excellence team at [email protected].