Ivy-Curry’s late-game heroics lead UTSA past Tulane

In a showdown at the Convocation Center last Wednesday night, the UTSA Men’s Basketball team clinched a hard-fought 89-88 victory over the Tulane Green Wave.

UTSA guard Jordan Ivy-Curry’s late-game action was pivotal. With just 1.4 seconds remaining, Ivy-Curry hit a 3-pointer to give the Roadrunners an 89-88 lead to win and snap a four-game losing streak. 

Throughout the game, the junior totaled nine points, making just 3 of 13 shots (23%) from the field. His 3-pointer in the final moments became a key moment in the game, characterized by frequent lead changes and continuous competitive play.

“I’ve been through times like this before,” Ivy-Curry said of his shooting struggles. “I know my teammates need me, so being in my feelings is not going to help my team.”

The game started with the ‘Runners (8-12, 2-5 AAC) facing challenges in finding their rhythm, especially from beyond the arc. The team’s early performance, marked by a 1-for-16 start from three, did not reflect their standing as one of the top 3-point shooting teams in the American Athletic Conference. 

Tulane (12-7, 3-4 AAC), leveraging its efficiency from beyond the arc while relying on forward Kevin Cross and guard Jaylen Forbes who each netted 23 points, maintained a lead and kept UTSA at bay. Their scoring prowess kept Tulane in the lead for much of the game, constantly challenging the Roadrunners to respond. 

Carlton Linguard Jr. contributed significantly to UTSA’s comeback. He scored a total of 31 points, secured 10 rebounds and blocked three shots. Linguard Jr.’s impact was particularly evident in the second half, where he notched 20 points and made six 3-pointers. His offensive contributions proved vital when other shots did not find the mark.

“I’ve been in the gym putting in the work, so the time is going to come where the basketball gods bless me,” Linguard Jr. said on his career night. “Juice last game had a lot on his shoulders and I took it personal.”

The Roadrunners, under the guidance of head coach Steve Henson, adapted to the game’s demands after struggling to score initially. Emphasizing defense and capitalizing on rebound opportunities, UTSA stayed in contention. The team’s resilience was evident as they overcame their early shooting woes and traded blows with Tulane for much of the second half.

“We’re taking strides in our execution of the game plan. Taking care of the opponent’s top two or three favorite sets and locking in on personnel,” Henson said. “It’s hard to tell the players that we’re getting better when we don’t get the tangible results, and a win is the tangible result.”

As the final buzzer sounded, the UTSA Roadrunners not only celebrated a victory but also a significant turnaround.