UTSA Athletics announces inaugural Hall of Fame Class

SAN ANTONIO, TX – The inaugural UTSA Athletics Hall of Fame class was announced on Aug. 15, 2023. This class features four former student-athletes, the first head football coach and a former athletic director. The six members of the first class are McKenzie Adams, Devin Brown, Marcus Davenport, Tamika Roberts, Larry Coker and Lynn Hickey. Each person has made a lasting impact on the university in their respective positions, both on and off the field. Let’s take a look at each member of the class in depth to recognize their achievements as a member of UTSA.

McKenzie Adams

McKenzie Adams was a two-sport athlete in basketball and volleyball during her time at UTSA from 2011-2014. Some of the major honors that Adams received while at UTSA was the 2012 WAC Player of the Year and 2013 C-USA Player of the Year. She also guided the Roadrunners to C-USA regular season and tournament titles and an appearance in the NCAA tournament during that 2013 season. Adams is also one of the rare athletes to have been awarded all-conference honors in four different conferences. With a great athletic background, the star volleyball player also played basketball during the 2013-14 season, averaging 5.7 rebounds per game and racking up 24 blocks and 14 steals.

Devin Brown

Devin Brown, a San Antonio native and alumni of West Campus High School, is considered to be one of UTSA’s greatest basketball players. He is one of two Roadrunners to have his jersey retired and was a four year starter during his time at UTSA. Brown won the 1998 Southland Conference Player of the Year award and received second-team all-league that season, after which he followed up with three straight first-team accolades in his following seasons. The shooting guard helped the ‘Runners win the 1999 Southland Conference tournament and earned a place in the NCAA tournament. Brown is still UTSA’s all time leading scorer and was the first player in school history to record a triple-double. After UTSA, Brown played for numerous NBA franchises, including his hometown San Antonio Spurs, as well as the Denver Nuggets, Utah Jazz, New Orleans Hornets, Cleveland Cavaliers and Chicago Bulls. 

Larry Coker

Larry Coker is quite simply “The Godfather” of UTSA Football. Hired in 2009 to help kickstart the new football program, the 2001 National Championship winner with Miami had a difficult job on his hands. However, no one could have imagined how much success the program would see in the future. Considered by many to be one of the most successful new programs in all of college football, the work of Coker and other coaches and staff were the foundation. Pulling off major upsets against the likes of Houston, the impact that Coker made during his time here will never be understated. Initially starting as an independent, the Roadrunners moved to the Western Athletic Conference for the 2012 season, posting an 8-4 record. In 2013, UTSA would make another switch to Conference USA, where they would finish 7-5 in their debut season. Coker is responsible for producing some of UTSA’s first standout football players, including David Morgan II and Marcus Davenport, the first All-American and first round pick in school history, respectively.

Marcus Davenport

Marcus Davenport developed into one of the most influential athletes in school history. Another San Antonio native and Stevens High School alum, the defensive end began his time at UTSA in 2014. In 2017 he was named Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year. His senior year was statistically his best, putting up 8.5 sacks, 55 tackles and three forced fumbles. Davenport is still UTSA’s all-time leader in tackles for loss, sacks and quarterback hurries. Davenport was a three-time all C-USA selection and was one of the conference’s best players during his time with the Roadrunners. After finishing school, Marcus was selected 14th overall in the 2018 NFL Draft by the New Orleans Saints, and currently plays on the Minnesota Vikings. 

Lynn Hickey

Lynn Hickey was the Athletic Director of the program from 2000-2017 and transcended the program to new heights during her reign. Hickey was one of the biggest advocates to bring football to the university and help lead the Roadrunners to become a Football Bowl Subdivision school. She was also an important piece in helping the school move to both the WAC and C-USA. Hickey was named the 2010 San Antonio Express-News Sportswoman of the Year and helped guide the City of San Antonio into hosting numerous NCAA events, including three Men’s Final Fours and two Women’s Final Fours. 

Tameka Roberts

Tameka Roberts, a native of Corpus Christi, is considered to be one of the greatest track and field athletes that has ever graced UTSA. Another two-sport athlete, in which she also competed in basketball,. Roberts had a decorated career as a member of the Roadrunners. She was an eight-time All-American and won 17 titles collectively during her career. The sprinter and jumper racked up three Southland Conference Indoor and two Southland Conference Outdoor Athlete of the Year honors. She led UTSA to conference outdoor titles in both 1996 and 1997 and holds school records in the 100m, 200m, indoor 200m and long jump. 

The Hall of Fame Ceremony will be held on Friday, Oct. 27, and the inductees will be honored the next day at UTSA’s football game vs East Carolina in the Alamodome. Tickets for the ceremony will be on sale at a later date. For more information, please contact the Roadrunner Athletic Fund at [email protected].