The Alamo Bowl: San Antonio’s top winter attraction

Wildcats come back late to top Sooners, first ten win season since 2014
Rylan Renteria

When late December rolls around and the cool air gives South Texas a certain crispness, those are the telltale signs that another memorable Alamo Bowl is around the corner. The 31st Alamo Bowl did not disappoint. In a fourth-quarter comeback, the Arizona Wildcats captured their first bowl victory since 2015 beating the Oklahoma Sooners, 38-24. Ending Arizona’s final year in the Pac-12 with a ten win season. 

For the past 30 years, the Alamo Bowl has become one of college football’s most watched and anticipated bowl games outside of the New Year’s Day games. The game has featured some of college football’s most elite programs in highly competitive matchups.

From All-Americans, Heisman trophy winners, Super Bowl champions and even a Hall of Famer. Some of college football’s top talent have played under the lights of the Alamodome. Close high scoring affairs are synonymous with the Alamo Bowl. All around college football the game is held in high regard, consistently topping ESPN’s viewership. 

The Alamodome has hosted an assortment of events such as the All American Bowl and the San Antonio Spurs for a decade. Notably the dome has hosted both Men’s and Women’s basketball final four tournaments seven times. The Alamodome is set to host the men’s final four again in 2025. San Antonio city council has approved a 29 million dollar upgrade for the aging stadium. Keeping the facility a main attraction for athletic events nationally. 

More than half of the Alamo Bowl’s history has featured a Texas university. Still, the game has garnered fanbases from all over the country to explore downtown San Antonio to consistently pack the Alamodome to full capacity. Players and coaches of both teams have access to the top of the line facilities with San Antonio three local universities providing the perfect home away from home. 

“Everyone has been phenomenal,” Arizona head coach Jedd Fisch said. “The city of San Antonio and everyone who works with the Alamo Bowl has been fantastic.”

The 1998 matchup between the Purdue Boilermakers against the fourth ranked Kansas State Wildcats the highest ranked team to play in Alamo Bowl history. NFL Hall of Famer Drew Brees led a 54 second 80-yard drive to upset the Wildcats in the first of many thrilling games in the bowl game’s history. 

The 2016 matchup has to be the most iconic in bowl history with the game’s highlights always shown during bowl month. Going into halftime, the TCU Horned Frogs on their third string quarterback were down 31-0, but a second half rally by TCU pushed the Oregon Ducks to overtime. What transpired was a suspenseful three overtime periods with the Horned Frogs ultimately coming out on top. 

Last year’s match-up of the Texas Longhorns and Washington Huskies has caused some deja vu for college football fans now that both teams are set to rematch in the Sugar Bowl on New Year’s Day with their eyes set for a bid to the National Championship. The past ten matchups for the Alamo Bowl has brought great publicity to the game as the CFP expands from four to 12 teams. The Alamo Bowl Committee eyes a possible push into the playoffs

This year’s matchup held the Alamo Bowl’s rich tradition of heartbreaking finishes and triumphant comebacks. The pageantry and hospitality of the city of San Antonio and the Alamo Bowl’s committee creates positive memories for the players and coaches. The Alamo Bowl will continue to be a landmark game in the college postseason. Creating timeless moments that will be replayed on television for years to come.